Have you ever experienced a large emergency water loss event at your property or workplace? If you haven’t, chances are that when such a disaster strikes you aren’t sure of what to do.
Whether the water loss is a result of a broken pipe, a broken water heater, or storm flooding, there are actions you can take to ensure quick action and prevent further damage to your business.
What to do after a Water Loss:
- Account and/or care for all personnel, residents, employees, tenants
- Secure property and keep all unauthorized personnel out
- Confirm that the main water source is shut off
- Save/Secure any damaged or defective source of loss items
- Confirm the HVAC system is operating
- Begin a log of events with dates and times
- Begin a log of damaged items and photograph everything
- Save all receipts for expenses incurred as a result of the loss
- Contact Insurance Provider
- Remove and/or secure all valuable items (documents/computers/etc.)
- Do not cross contaminate by walking into unaffected areas.
- Do not tamper with the source of the loss
- Do not tamper with the area where loss occurred
- Do not ever step or walk into standing water
- Do not plug in or turn on any electrical items
- Contact a mitigation & restoration company as soon as possible