There are on average of 3,340 office fires per year, amounting to $112,000,000 in property damage annually. The cause of most office fires are cooking equipment, electrical and lighting equipment, heating equipment, arson, and smoking materials.
Office fires start mostly in kitchen areas, but do start in other places of the building as well.
- Keep all work areas of commercial spaces clean and clear of clutter and trash, especially paper materials.
- Make sure that the sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers are inspected regularly and function properly.
- Keep all exit doors accessible and free from obstacles, and make sure they are well marked.
- Store Flammable materials safely and make sure that they are labeled correctly.
- Make sure that all appliances are UL Listed and approved.
- Do not use extension cords for small appliances.
- Ensure that your smoke alarms are working properly by testing monthly. Replace your batteries yearly and Install new detectors every 10 years.
- Have heating equipment inspected annually before winter temperatures arrive so that necessary repairs can be made before heating of the building is required.
- Have an emergency evacuation plan for your employees that includes the locations of all exits and the best paths to them, and be sure to practice a Fire Drill at a minimum once per year.
- For property stabilization and restoration, make sure all employees download our free HarenLaughlin Restoration app on their phone for instant access to our 24/7 Emergency Response Line at (913) 890-3473.